Instant-Pot: Allergy-Friendly Coconut Yogurt!
When my daughter reached six months of age – the age most babies begin to eat solid food – we ran into a slew of health issues with her: immature GI tract, FPIES, allergies, we didn’t know. We were given strict instructions to introduce solids with 7-day trial periods and we were not allowed to mix any new foods together. With my big plans to go the baby-led-weaning route, this was a huge test of patience but somehow we made it through and this recipe was gold once my daughter passed coconut.
This recipe calls for 3 simple ingredients and one Instant Pot. You can make so many variations of yogurt parfaits and overnight oats, there’s something for every member of the house using coconut yogurt. This has also helped me with a lot of casserole and kid-friendly chicken dishes that call for mayonnaise in the recipe (egg is a big no-no in our house due to my daughter’s allergies).
Try this recipe and you wont regret it!
- Pour 1 liter (roughly 32oz) of coconut cream into your instant pot
- Hit the “yogurt” option until it reaches “boil”
- Once the coconut cream has boiled, remove the instant pot liner from the instant pot, insert thermometer into liquid and wait for the cream to hit roughly 100 degrees. This is an important step because if the liquid gets too hot the live cultures won’t live, too cold and the live cultures wont grow.
- Once the liquid reaches 100 degrees, slowly pour the non-dairy yogurt starter into liquid and whisk, whisk whisk.
- Put the Instant Pot liner back into the Instant Pot and hit the yogurt option until you can input the time. I think 9 hours is perfect for the creamiest and tangiest coconut yogurt but you can experiment how you like.
- After the 9 hours have passed, pour the gelatin packet into the liquid and whisk whisk whisk, this is important so that the yogurt doesn’t get too lumpy, you want creamy yogurt.
- Pour into container of your choice and refrigerate.
- After roughly 8 hours, your yogurt should have thickened and be ready to eat!