My love for essential oils, specifically for Young Living, really has no bounds. When I first started using these oils I was primarily using only oils but for all kinds of personal ailments: sleep, anxiety, happiness, wellness, etc. and the more I used the oils, the more educated I became with how toxic other household items are. It was glaring when my daughter came out highly sensitive to a laundry list of items and using products that said “free and clear” still resulted in a baby that looked like she had been thrown into a Poison Ivy bush. This is when we knew products are not always what they say they are and we had to take action fast!
This is an actual shot of my daughter at 4-months before we started the ditch-and-switch and learned more about her allergies to various foods and chemicals:
This list will shock you but here are the following top 10 cancer-causing household items:
- Dryer sheets
- Artificial sweeteners
- Plastic bottles and food containers
- Air fresheners and candles
- Conventional cleaners
- Toothpaste (specifically fluoride)
- Laundry detergent
- Baby powder
Let all of that sink in. Yikes. Slowly over the last 4 years, we have been going through the ditch and switch: replacing household products with non-toxic products. Starting slowly allows you to decide what is the most important and what is easiest to replace. For us, we started with all of our cleaning products. I threw away every single household cleaner and slowly after that, it was laundry detergent, soap, candles, food containers, and I am currently going through the make-up switch (which has been the hardest for me).
This process will not be for everyone, but if you have young kiddos in your house, I strongly urge you to download the “Think Dirty” App and start learning about what products you are using that your children are inhaling. You guys, SOO many products claim to be “clean” but have ingredients (e.g. carcinogens) that you never knew were harmful.
See below for all household items where you can make the “ditch and switch”:
- A Chemical-Free Home: The Thieves Line. Thieves household cleaner, Thieves laundry detergent, Thieves dish soap, Thieves dishwashing powder, Thieves foaming hand soap, Thieves fruit and veggie soak.
- Kids: Baby Seedlings line and Kidscents line (toothpaste, soap, and vitamins)
- Skin Care: ART Cleanser and moisturizer, Mirah shave oil, Shutran line, Lavender body lotion and bar soap, Satin mint scrub, Orange blossom face wash.
- Out and About: More from Thieves: spray, wipes, and hand purifier.
- Fitness: Young Living Supplements, Pure Protein, Ningxia, Cool Azul pain cream
- Personal Care: Copaiba and Lavender Shampoo/Conditioner, Young Living’s bath and shower gel, deodorant, and lip balm. Savvy minerals make-up and Shutran’s line for men.
- Oral Care: More from Thieves! Toothpaste, mouthwash, lozenges, dental floss, mints. Young Living’s Slique line: Tea, Chewing gum, and supplements.
- Pets: Animal Scents shampoo, ointment, and pet chews.
If you are interested in how I incorporate essential oils into my daily routine, please visit here.
All essential oil blog posts can be found here.