If you want to continue the taste of summer, I can not even begin to tell you how delicious this recipe is! I grew up in a town where the local pizza joint had the most amazing “Orange Bangs”. In fact, I can hear the owner’s voice shouting the order as I write this (and if you’re also from La Canada – you can hear it too!).
The cookbook 100 Days of Real Food by Lisa Leake has some amazing recipes but this one, in particular, was brought to my attention when my sister-in-law overheard me talking about how delicious an Orange Julius is. The recipe is meant to be frozen yogurt but a few simple changes made for a great smoothie. I made it and then added a slightly sweeter taste by using vanilla yogurt and it was DE-LISH! Go ahead and make it for yourself (leftovers can be frozen for a yummy creamsicle pop) and you won’t be disappointed… neither will your kids!
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (or store-bought orange juice)
- 2 cups plain yogurt (or vanilla yogurt)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients into your blender, blend, and serve.
- For a more “frothy” smoothie, add 4-5 ice cubes and drink immediately.
- If making 50/50 bars, pour into your popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
What are some of your favorite home-town foods or smoothies?